A permit is required for most new residential and commercial construction.
- Building plans may be required and if so, must be designed under the current building code and local design criteria. A site-related plan may be required based on the land disturbance activity of your construction on your property.
- Zoning permits are required regardless of structure size. Contact the Zoning Administrator at 540-375-3032 for setback and easement requirements.
- Contractors must have a valid business license in order to obtain a permit. Please contact the City of Salem Commissioner of the Revenue for license requirements at 540-375-3019.
- Permits are issued only between 8 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Use the list below to help you determine if your project requires a building permit. If your project is not listed or you need help determining if a permit is required, please email the Office of Community Development or telephone at 540-375-3036.
- If a permit is not required, setbacks and other zoning requirements may still apply. Contact the zoning administrator at 540-375-3032, for more information regarding zoning requirements.